Well, I did my part for Earth Day 2010 by buying a bunch of people's used junk they didn't want anymore. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Alright, so it is definitely re-using, not so sure about recycling, and at least I reduced the amount of stuff in other people's houses :)
I was able to hit a church rummage sale after work. I've been to this sale in the past and got some memorable finds. I arrived about half an hour before the sale opened and besides the people invading my personal space and others cutting in line (How dare they?! Cheaters.), I didn't even mind waiting half an hour to get in. What in the world did I do when I had to wait before I had my iPhone?!? It wasn't bad at all. I soaked up the sun, wrote an email, checked my ebay auctions, posted on Facebook... Pretty soon it was time to go in. I paid my $2 entrance fee (a "premium" for getting to shop the first night) and we were herded in like cattle. Fortunately, there was no pushing or shoving :)
Since I haven't been doing a lot of eBay lately, especially the purchasing aspect, I really wasn't setting out to buy anything for resale. I need to do research on what actually sells these days, as the items that were always sure-sellers just don't seem to do as well anymore (Levi's jeans, especially). Sad! Still, I have lots of items on my wish list and always have things to buy.
Here's my score! Click on the photo to drool.
- OshKosh denim jean jacket, size 3T. Oh, I hope this fits as Cody needs a light-weight jacket for spring. It is way too adorable and I know he will look super cute in it with his glasses. $3.00
- 2 - My First LeapPad toys with various books and cartridges. Paid $8 for the lot. I am planning to resell one of them and keep the other. I didn't know much about them but figured they were worth that amount. One doesn't even look like it was played with. It's a cool toy. We really like the Leapfrog toys. We find they are used a long time (i.e. activity table, cell phone, shopping cart, fridge magnet game) and hold up well. Now I get to be on the lookout for more books & cartridges. Whee!
- Small metal Tonka dump truck. What little boy can't use another dump truck?! 25¢
- Carter's firetruck 2 pc jammies set $1.00
- 3 pairs of jeans, size 2T (2) and 3T. I think they are Levi's and OshKosh. $3.00 for all. Dying over the fact that I paid $10+ on one pair of jeans new at Carter's. More than once. Eek.
- Denim jean shorts $1.00
- BABY doll! Yes, I bought my son a doll. These days many men are the primary childcare givers, stay-at-home-dads, and very involved with the little ones. What's wrong with a little practice? Cody absolutely LOVES his "baby" and wanted to carry it around as soon as I showed it to him. We even read her stories and put her night-night. It looks like new and even cries and talks ("Mama", "Dada") when you press her belly. That was a surprise to me, as I thought it was just your basic baby doll. A total deal at 50¢,
- Green backpack with surprises inside - this is a gift for one of Cody's little friends, so we have to keep it secret! Shhhhhh :) $1.00
- Fire Engine "touch and feel" book. Can't believe we don't have all of these in the series yet! 25¢
- 2 more dark-wood frames for the basement. I'm determined to not have bare walls down there like the rest of the house, apparently! 25¢ each
- Stride-Rite shoes; unfortunately, too small. Oh well, only $1.00. To the baby boy bins they go!
- Various t-shirts and other shirts, including a few short sleeve shirts which we really needed. 50¢-$1.00 each
- Step stool for the bathroom (not pictured). Another item on my "to-be-found" list. Yes. 25¢
Hooray! I had a great time and while it's nothing earth-shattering, I was pleased with what I found. A happy mommy is a good mommy.
Ok, what is this you say?
Ok, what is this you say?
I usually have my "Santa Bag" that I take to church sales that I can shove lots into and not worry about trying to find a bag or a box at the sale. I couldn't find it though, but I remembered this re-usable bag that my boss at work gave me along with some toys for Cody. It worked great and actually even better than my Santa Bag. I lost it for a moment on the floor but thankfully no one picked it up.
I was also able to get a few items for our child care provider. It is such a joy to me to find things for other people that they are looking for. Not pictured in my finds above, I was able to find a play vacuum which was #1 on her wish list! She used to have two vacuums but one broke, and that was near a tragedy for two little boys at her house! I was thrilled to find a vacuum almost identical to the one she had for ONE DOLLAR! $1! It is in near-perfect condition and I held back my happy dance while I picked it up. I also got a sweet doll umbrella stroller for $1 (can kind of see it on the side of the picture), and also this super cute doll-sized Graco swing and high chair set for $3. Isn't it sweet? Looks like the real thing but in a miniature version. So cute. I know the daycare kids will have fun with everything.
Is there anything YOU are looking for? I would love to put it on my to-look-for list! I need to figure out a way to make that a business so I can get paid for garage saling! But seriously, if you are looking for something particular, let me know, along with your target price, and I'll do my best to find it for you.
This weekend is supposed to be rainy, so I am unsure if we will be able to go to any sales or not. I got a pretty good fix this week though, wouldn't you say?! :)





5 Comments:
I'M JEALOUS!! You are lucky you live so close to so many nice garage sales and find such nice things. I love the doll-can't believe Gordon let his son in the house with a doll! LOL Maybe now G'ma has a doll to make doll clothes for-cool!You found alot of nice things for Cody & for the daycare. So I guess if it rains & you are unable to go garage saling tomorrow, at least you had a good day on Thurs.
Cody, I'm glad Mom bought you a doll! Little boys like dolls too just like little girls like to play with cars & trucks.Mom got you some really cool looking clothes & toys too. You are a lucky little boy! I am sure you will have fun playing with the new toys for DayCare too. Now Mom will have to get you a doll stroller so you can take your baby for a ride too!
I use my Ikea bag (actually bagS) on Black Friday since shopping carts are tough to navigate in the crowds! Love them!
I have always said that by going to a thrift store or yard sale, we are doing "creative recycling" and I've always wondered why nobody else realizes that. I'm glad that you do. Looks like you got some great deals, I'm not familiar with the prices anymore (my baby turned 18 a couple of weeks ago - sob!), but I'd say you got an amazing deal on the OshKosh clothes.
Looks like fun finds! Jack has a doll too. He liked one of his big sister's doll's. We got it blue clothes so it can be a little boy like him.
Post a Comment