The big announcement is better put in visual than vocabulary:
We had Cody's 1 year checkup with the pediatric ophthalmologist a week ago Friday. We initially went to see her (Dr. P :) named that because she has an insanely long Indian name that apparently no one can spell or pronounce) on the recommendation of Cody's pediatrician, for his ptosis (droopy eyelid). He was born with that at birth. It is just a bit of extra fat deposit in one of his eyelids. Thankfully, it does not appear to affect his vision and truthfully, we don't notice it much except when he is tired or in very bright sunshine. We do get "Boy, he looks tired!" quite a bit when we are out in public, which gets frustrating.
At any rate, we went back to Dr. P to have Cody's one-year follow up appointment. Nothing is changed with his ptosis at this point. It is something he will always have and we may need to consider cosmetic surgery in the future if we think it will affect his quality of life. But, as they did their vision exam, eye dilation and other various tests, they were able to determine that Cody had more farsightedness than he should at this age. Apparently, all children around this age have a bit of farsightedness at this age, but Cody had more than the normal. This means that he is not able to see perfectly close-up. Because of this, Dr. P recommended that Cody get glasses. Glasses!! I was shocked. Here I am thinking we are just going to have a routine check-up and maybe talk about options for dealing with any issues relating to the eyelid, and here we find out he has to get glasses!!! I'll be honest, I didn't take it too well. I was a bit depressed and overwhelmed at the news. I cried. Ok, I bawled. But, before we left & prior to the tears ensuing, we picked out a pair of glasses for the little guy. Oh, did he look cute.
Fast forward to one week, Saturday, when we picked up Cody's brand new pair of glasses. He did *phenomenal* at the office while the optician tried them on him for the first time. He sat perfectly still, and looked all around with them on, almost like he was seeing things clearly for the first time (which I'm sure he was). He even kept them on for a couple minutes! He really did well. They did some minor adjustments and we were on our way.
So, we went out to lunch, did some shopping at Target and then headed to naptime when we got home. When he woke up, we gave him a snack and outfitted ourselves with our camera and new toy to distract Cody while we tried on his glasses.
Well, it didn't go as planned. He wouldn't even let us put the glasses ON him. We tried numerous times. He wanted nothing to do with them. I won't go on and on with the details, but we did manage to get them on him for a few minutes to snap a couple photos. Props go out to Gordon for all his work he did working with Cody.
Sunday was a new day and I am thrilled to report that Cody did phenomenal with his glasses!! He wore them for a majority of the day and only took them off maybe 10-15 times all day. Absolutely incredible!! We were so proud of him. We catch him stopping and looking around more at things, so I really think they are making quite the difference in his viewpoint of life. Makes it all worth it.
I do feel a little disappointed & discouraged that our little one has to get glasses at such a young age (he'll be 19 months next week), but I also feel fortunate that we were able to find out that he needed them. Normally he would not have had the vision screening until age 4 or 5 when he is getting ready for (gasp) school. But because of his other issue, we were able to find out sooner than most & give him the gift of sight.

(Mmmm! Fruit loops! Sugar!)


3 Comments:
That is too bad that G'ma's boy had to get glasses but good thing it was caught early. He looks so cute in them and G'ma is so proud of him keeping them on so good! He is growing up so fast and the glasses even make him look older. Wishing you patience & good luck with them.
Well, I was wrong! But I'm glad that you were able to catch the problem now and deal with it. It's almost always harder on the parents, mostly mom, when there is a problem with our children. No matter what it is, we usually all have to cry! But he'll be fine, and he looks even more handsome with his glasses on. Do you have a strap to keep them on his head?
Ohhhh..I thought Cody was going to be a big brother too. :)
He looks so cute in his glasses. It makes him look mature. Just think his other issue was actually a blessing in disguise - you were able to have him see better sooner. I know all too well about crying over our children. After the first allergy appt, I was a mess. But it gets easier and someday you may be able to help another Mom deal with a similiar issue.
Post a Comment